Romans V Celts (Preview)
Hi2/1.2 Roman Britain
- Julius Caesar’s attempted invasion in 55-54 BC
- the Roman Empire by AD 42 and the power of its army
- successful invasion by Claudius and conquest, including Hadrian’s Wall
- British resistance, for example, Boudica
- “Romanisation” of Britain: sites such as Caerwent and the impact of technology, culture
- and beliefs, including early Christianity
Ideas for use in class:
- Prior to playing the video, invite the children to listen for a purpose and to consider the following questions:
Lower ability – “Who invaded Britain in 54 BC?”
Middle ability – “Who were the key people mentioned in the song?”
Upper ability – “Can you describe the events of Boudicca’s rebellion against the Romans?”
2. Play the video.
3. Elicit responses from the children.
4. Replay the video to consolidate learning.
5. Enable children to apply and consolidate their learning via ‘hot seating’. Here, one child acts as Boudicca or Emporer Claudius whilst the other children ask open questions like an interview. The child in the hot seat must base their response on their knowledge.